[EM] Re: Testing 1 2 3 why Aussies vote party tickets

Anthony Duff anthony_duff at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jan 4 17:47:02 PST 2004

At least where I am from, there is a strong cultural tradition of
most voters faithfully following someone's "party ticket", and I
think there is a simple explanation as to why.

The local electorates use IRV.  About 90% of voters vote their first
preference for either labor or liberal.  When the "1" has been
assigned to one of these two contenders, the following preferences
"2" to N are irrelevant, and not even looked at, except incidentally
by electoral workers.

Now, fully ranking the ballot is and has often been compulsory.
Truncation invalidates the ballot.  Therefore, voters must rank every
candidate, even though for 90% of voters, the preferences will be
ignored.  The easiest thing to do is to copy the "how to vote card"
(pamphlet) that the voter was given on approach to the polling booth.
This act, of copying a party ticket, is apparently habit forming,
because most voters do the same thing when they go on to cast an
upper house STV ballot.

Anthony

ps.  What's wrong with IRV?
If you vote for a minor candidate, your preferences will be
transferred.  If you vote for the runner-up, your preferences will be
ignored.

http://psephos.adam-carr.net/countries/a/australia/1993/vic-1993.txt