[EM] Multiwinner elections

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Fri Jan 2 15:09:02 PST 2004

I can only think of a few ways to derive the required information from
ballots (I don't think I even want to get into aggregation methods
here):

1) allow the voters to assign a rating to each candidate, so that the
B+C will be chosen if their combined score is higher than A, for
example.  This might be the simplest, but there will be incentive to
misrepresent your sincere ratings (which may or may not be a problem).

2) Impute a rating based on preference order, which is essentially what
Borda attempts to do.  The method could then look at Borda scores of
combinations of candidates, in addition to single candidates, for a
given ballot.

3) Allow voters to rank combinations of candidates, as well as single
candidates.  Thus if I like A > B > C > D, and there are two seats to
fill, I might rank:

    AB > AC > BC > A > B > C

4) Cumulative voting, where voters speculate on the best combination of
candidates that they believe they can elect.  For example, if you are a
Green, and A is the Green candidate in the example above, you might
divide your cumulative vote between B and C.

Bart Ingles