Public names for Condorcet methods (Was: Re: [EM] Condorcet for public proposals - IMV)

Gervase Lam gervase.lam at group.force9.co.uk
Sat Jan 31 12:41:01 PST 2004

> Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:22:09 +0100
> From: Markus Schulze <markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de>
> Subject: Re: [EM] Condorcet for public proposals - IMV

> For Ernest's proposal, I suggest terms like "Smith-MinMax"
> or "Smith-Simpson-Kramer".

I agree with Markus here.  In fact, there are quite a few names involving
Condorcet methods:

Ranked Pairs/Tideman
Kemeny-Young
Raynaud
Schulze
Smith
Copeland

Of all of them, for something that needs a good name, I think Tideman is a
good name.  So you might as well use it 'as is' as a public method.  It is
also one step better than "Plain Condorcet".

Sure, there are two variants of Tideman, margins and "winning votes".  But
those are just details.

There are many variants of flu, some worse than others.  But people
usually use just the basic term flu.

Thanks,
Gervase.