[EM] With standard assumptions, CW is always SU, even with Euclidean distance.

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 28 21:24:01 PST 2004

I defined two kinds of radial symmetry, and said that even with the weaker
radial symmetry, the CW is always SU, even when Euclidean distance is used.

The weaker radial symmetry requires only that, for each ray from the center,
there's a ray in the opposite direction from the center, along which the
population density distribution is the same as on the original ray.

The usual, standard voter distribution in simulations has that weak radial
symmetry. The standard assumption is that the voters are normally
distributed with respect to each issue-dimension. That distribution has the
weak radial symmetry.

So, with that standard assumption, the CW always maximizes SU, even with
Euclidean distance.

And, if city-block distance is used, the CW maximizes SU. Period. No
requirements.

Though SFC is the only one of the majority defensive strategy that mentions
the CW, it's still true that all the defensive strategy criteria are about
properties that make it easier to elect a CW.

Why is SU important? Say there's going to be an election at some time in the
future. We don't know what the candidate lineup willl be, or what kind of an
example it will be.  All we know is what method will be used.

The better the SU promise of that method is, the better your expectation for
that future election is.

Mike Ossipoff