[EM] non-determinism and PR.

Forest Simmons simmonfo at up.edu
Wed Dec 29 15:23:18 PST 2004

From: Forest Simmons <simmonfo at up.edu>
To: election-methods-electorama.com at electorama.com
Subject: non-determinism and PR.

> From: Bart Ingles <bartman at netgate.net>
> Subject: Re: [EM] non-deterministic methods

> Wouldn't a random cycle-breaker provide strong incentive for a sure
> loser in a cycle-free election to try to create a cycle?

I think I can show that this wouldn't work if the "sure loser" were the
Condorcet Loser in the three candidate case that concerns us in spruced up
methods.

Suppose that L is the Condorcet Loser, and that W is the Condorcet Winner.

Only a faction that ranks L above W would want to try to give L a chance
at winning at the expense of W.

There are five cases: (1) L>X>W, (2) X>L>W, (3) L>W>X, (4) L=X>W, and
   (5) L>X=W.

In order to create a cycle, L must be raised relative to at least one
other candidate, otherwise L will remain a Condorcet Loser, and there will
be no cycle.

Furthermore, in order to create a cycle, W must be lowered relative to at
least one candidate, otherwise W will remain a Condorcet Winner, and there
will be no cycle.

So far we have shown that in order to create a cycle, L must be raised AND
W must be lowered.

But in the odd cases L cannot be raised, and in the even cases W cannot be
lowered. Therefore it is impossible for any faction that ranks L above W
to induce a cycle by itself.

In summary, the only factions that could possibly create a cycle would be
the ones that rank the Condorcet Winner W above or equal to the Condorcet
Loser L, and these factions would stand to lose as much as they might
gain.

Also, in my last message I made the point that non-deterministic methods
don't necessarily give every member of a cycle a positive probability of
winning.  A case in point is Rob LeGrand's ballot-by-ballot Declared
Strategy Voting method.  The ballots are shuffled before applying the
method, yet in many cases of Condorcet cycles, the method gives the same
winner with certainty, regardless of the order of the ballots (whenever
there is a unique Approval Equilibrium candidate, for example).

In a previous message we treated the cyclic example

3000 A
3000 A=B
4000 B>C

We found that if the last faction disapproved C, then PAV based
randomization would give the win to A 43% of the time and B 57% of the
time.

On the other hand, if C were approved by by the last faction, then PAV
based randomization would give A and C all of the probability with 60% for
A and 40% for C.

So should C be approved or not?  Well, if A has zero utility for the last
faction, and C has more than 70% of the utility of B, then it would be to
their advantage to approve C, otherwise not.

This kind of calculation could be done automatically if the voters
submitted Cardinal ratings ballots.

Note also that Rob LeGrands DSV method would give B the win with certainty
in this example, whether or not the third faction raised C to the level of
B.

Somebody should look at the

49 C
24 B>A
27 A>B

election with the PAV probabilities in mind for the various approval
options, to see if they exacerbate or ameliorate the Prisoner's Dilemma
problem, e.g. the temptation for the second faction to "defect" by
truncating.

Forest