[EM] 48 C, 24 B, 28 A > B example

Forest Simmons simmonfo at up.edu
Fri Dec 31 15:14:11 PST 2004

In this example, Borda, IRV and Margins go with C, while wv and Bucklin
say B.

Besides this disagreement, there is the problem that if the win is given
to B for this ballot set, then if the 24 faction voters' true preferences
were B>A>C, they would be sorely tempted to truncate so that B would win
instead of A.

I think that the best way out of this dilemma is appropriate randomization
in "situations like this".

To randomize this example I would use "symmetric depletion" as opposed to
symmetric completion, to split the last faction in two:

   48 C,  24 B,  14 A,  14 not(C).

Then I would cancel the 14 not(C) against 14 of the 48 C to get

   34 C,  24 B,  14 A.

Then I would subtract 14 from each of these factions to get

   20 C, 10 B.

Finally, I would roll a die and pick B if a one or a two came up, or C in
the case of 3, 4, 5, or 6.

An equivalent way of finding these 2:1 odds is to subtract the least
Borda Count from the other two, and take the ratio of the two differences.

In this example, the A>B, B>C, and C>A margins are 4, 4, and 20,
respectively, so the relative Borda Counts for A, B, and C are
(4-20)=-16, (4-4)=0, and (20-4)=16, which are proportional to
-1, 0, and 1, respectively.  When we subtract the negative one (by adding
its opposite) from the other two scores we get 0, 1, and 2, respectively.
So the required odds are 2:1.

Suppose that the members of the second faction secretly rate A, B, and C
at x, 1, and 0, respectively.  Then with this randomization each member of
this faction has expectation of 1/3.  If they don't truncate, then there
is no randomization, and A (with rating x) wins.

So it is to their advantage to truncate only if x is less than 1/3.  In
that case, candidate A  SHOULD BE the loser!

The full payoff matrix for A and B with sincere preferences

    48 C, 24 B > A, 28 A > B   is

          \ B
         A \____truncate_____|__show preference__
           |                 |
   truncate|      (0,0)      |    ( 1, x )
           |                 |
         ------------------------------------
   show    |                 |
   pref.   |    (y/3, 1/3)   |    ( 1, x )

   where y is the third faction's rating of B.

Note that for A, the strategy "show pref." dominates, no matter the value
of x or y.  Since B knows this, he crosses row one out.  Then he chooses
"truncate" iff 1/3 is greater than x.

I think that this is a good way out of the dilemma.  For those that don't
like randomization, let them contemplate that different methods give
different winners, so both B and C have a legitimate claim.  Giving the
win to C cheats B in the case when B sincerely doesn't like A at all.
Giving the win to B cheats A in the case when A is the sincere CW.

I would rather have a clean, up front randomization in a case like this,
then leave the voters with this dilemma.

Exactly which ballot sets should be considered appropriate for
randomization, I don't know... perhaps whenever there is a beat cycle,
perhaps only when margins and wv disagree, or perhaps whenever Black and
wv disagree.

Forest