[EM] Participation Criterion

Richard Moore moore3t1 at cox.net
Tue Oct 28 19:20:01 PST 2003

Forest Simmons wrote:

> Richard! Where have you been?

I've been lurking on the list a bit but haven't found the time to post
on it.

> Perhaps we should do three tests for each ballot: one with all ballots of
> that type removed, another with the one percent replication added, and
> then the normal ballot set (which would be the same for all ballots, so it
> would only need to be done once).
>
> If the best result were the one without any copies of B, and the worst
> were the one with the most copies of B, then it would seem reasonable to
> remove all copies of B.
>
> Of course this doesn't guarantee a better result for the B voter, but it
> seems like it would be an improvement more often than not.

I suppose that if a participation violation has already occurred,
adding 1% probably will not necessarily trigger another one, so the
benefit will be lost. I would expect that as ballots of type B are
increased from 0% on up there might be multiple trigger points. Some
of these will cause the B faction to get hurt, and others will benefit
the B faction. When the B faction gets to 100% (or exceeds 50%, if the
method complies to the first-place majority criterion) that faction
has won, so the last trigger point is a positive one. I don't expect
the trigger points to be grouped closely together as a rule.

So a better test would be to see if a small negative delta (of the
magnitude of your 1% or sqrt(N)) makes matters better for the B
voters. If so, make that negative adjustment.

Additionally, I'm not sure how (or even if) you should group similar
ballots for such a test; should you coalesce A>B>C>D>E ballots with
coalescing similar ballots might mean that some participation
violation effects could go unnoticed. Coalescing ballots that are only
superficially similar (such as A>B>C>D>E and A>E>B>C>D) might appear
arbitrary.

>>Couple that with the computational problem when the number of ballots
>>runs in the thousands or millions, and it seems better to use a
>>participation-compliant method in the first place, or else ignore the
>>criterion.
>>

> It's hard to ignore a defect that discourages participation when one of
> the goals of election  reform is to encourage additional voter
> participation.

I agree it shouldn't be ignored, but patching participation violations
this way may have unintended consequences as bad as the original
problem. Keeping the adjustments small might reduce the possibility of
interaction when multiple groups are scaled back, but it also reduces
the likelihood that a participation violation will be caught and
corrected. So my real preference is to use a participation-compliant
method to begin with.

  -- Richard