[EM] Is no Clones rule but EMers that it was used?

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Tue Jan 14 12:25:01 PST 2003

Dear Craig,

you wrote (15 Jan 2003):
> So, that quoted text ("Statement 2 is only needed...") is around the
> topic of the second part.
>
> The third person grammatical category of pronouns and verbs is
> present in the text there. I enter that into the records. Given the
> wording, which of these is the case?:
>   * "is only needed" refers to the designer's intent ?, or
>   * it is implied by some detail proof that was missing.

That's a matter of taste. Those situations where all voters are indifferent
about all candidates can be excluded in the definition of "clones". If you
don't want to exclude these situations in the definition of "clones" you
can exclude these situations in the definition of "independence from clones".
If you want to exclude these situations neither in the definition of "clones"
nor in the definition of "independence from clones" then you can exclude
these situations in your general statements. For example: "Tideman's Ranked
Pairs method meets independence from clones except for those situations

You wrote (15 Jan 2003):
> "Only" means only (?).

"Only" means only. No other situations have to be excluded. This follows
from the fact that there are methods that meet independence from clones
as defined in my 13 Jan 2003 mail.

You wrote (15 Jan 2003):
> I never got information on what you meant by "decisive". Please e-mail
> in the perfectly exact algebraic/etc definition of "decisive [winner-set
> results].

In my 13 Jan 2003 definitions of "clones" and "independence from
clones" the term "decisive" doesn't occur.

You wrote (15 Jan 2003):
> Then that absolute majority method violates a right number of winners
> rule inside of this polytope:
>
>    (([a+b+f]/2<a)([a+b+f]/2<b) or ([a+b+f]/2<a)([a+b+f]/2<b))
>
> I ask Mr Schulze to identify which of the 3 variables, is the "Voter".
>
> What suppose I wrote the rule like this (Mr Schulze) ?:
>
> (Method passes) = ((a+b+f<2a)(a+b+V<2b) or (a+b+f<2a)(a+b+V<2b))
>
> Now it has Schulze's V in it.
>
> I wonder if Mr Schulze would now tell the select audience of the
> Politicians and Polytopes mailing list, whether V can be a voter ?.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Markus Schulze

----