[EM] The voter median candidate generalized to multidimensional issue space

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue Jan 14 08:31:33 PST 2003

It occurred to me that some readers might need a key to the geometric
language in my recent posting about the Achilles heel of the Voter Median
Order.

Think of the preference orders ACB, CAB, CBA, BCA, BAC, and ABC positioned
on the face of a clock at the respective even hour marks 2, 4, 6, 8, 10,
and 12.

If you wanted, you could put A at one O'Clock, C at five O'Clock, and B at
nine O'Clock, to show their respective positions relative to the full
rankings.

This is enough to get the general picture.  For the computational details
(for eigenvalues, eigenvectors, etc.) the clock is mapped rigidly into a
three dimensional coordinate system:

ABC --> [1,0,-1]
ACB --> [1,-1,0]
CAB --> [0,-1,1]