[EM] The voter median candidate generalized to multidimensional issue spaces.

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Jan 10 12:32:44 PST 2003

The Borda order is the mean voter order in voter space. If the voters are
distributed symmetrically about that position, then that will also be the
median voter order.

But consider the non-symmetrical example

60 A>B>C
40 B>C>A

The Borda order is B>A>C, but the median voter order is A>B>C because
any time there is a majority faction, the median point in voter space (in
any direction) is automatically the point represented by that faction.

Let's go through the procedure on this example to see how it works:

The first matrix has 60 rows of [1,0,-1] and 40 rows of [-1,1,0].

The average is v0=[.2,.4,-.6].

The matrix A (after subtracting out v0 from each row) is 60 rows of
[.8,-.4,-.4] and 40 rows of [-1.2,.6,.6].

Since these rows are at 180 degrees from the others, the row space of A is
one dimensional, and the product of the transpose of A with A has only one
positive eigenvalue, for which a normalized eigenvector is

                    v1=[2,-1,-1]/sqrt(6).

The product A*v1 has sixty components of 2.4/sqrt(6) and forty components
of -3.6/sqrt(6).

So the median component value is c1=2.4/sqrt(6).

[Here's where it is most obvious that the procedure will always pick the
majority faction point if there is one.]

Then the Voter Median Order is given by the point X=v0+c1*v1, which is

           [.2,.4,-.6]+(2.4/sqrt(6))*[2,-1,-1]/sqrt(6),

which simplifies to [1,0,-1], the numerically encoded order of the
majority faction.

Forest