[EM] The voter median candidate generalized to multidimensional issue spaces.

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Jan 9 17:46:46 PST 2003

Example:

4 A>B>C
5 B>C>A
2 C>A>B

We start with a matrix whose rows represent the ballots.  It has four rows
of [3,2,1], five rows of [1,3,2], and two rows of [2,1,3].

The average of all eleven rows is the center of gravity vector
V0=[21,25,20]/11.  We can see from this that B is the Borda winner and C
the Borda loser.

Subtracting this V0 from every row we get a matrix A with four rows of
[12,-3,-9]/11, five rows of [-10,8,2]/11, and two rows of [1,-14,13]/11.

The product of the transpose of A with A is a three by three matrix whose
rows are [98,-52,-46]/11, [-52,68,-16]/11, and [-46,-16,62]/11.

The normalized eigenvectors corresponding to positive eigenvalues are
v1=[.814...,-.462...,-.3518...] and v2=[.06369...,.6731...,-.7367...], so
the issue space is two dimensional.

The vector A*v1 has four entries of approximately 1.3, five of -1.14, and
two of .246, so the median is c1=.246 .

The vector A*v2 has four entries of .489, five of .298, and two of -1.72,
so the median is c2=.298.

Then X=V0+c1*V1+c2*V2 is approximately [2.1,2.4,1.5].

Since 2.4 > 2.1 > 1.5 the winning order is B>A>C, in this case the same as
as the Borda order, rather than the Ranked Pairs order of A>B>C.

Forest

----