[EM] Dave: Primaries, runoffs

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Jan 5 21:43:11 PST 2003

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003 15:58:46 -0800 (PST) Alex Small wrote:

> Dave Ketchum said:
>
>>Bad enough for the major parties - could destroy smaller parties such as
>>the Greens, where there are more available outsiders than members -
>>giving  the outsiders control over who gets nominated to "represent" the
>>Greens.
>>

> How would a privately-run closed primary give outsiders control over the
> party?

I was responding to the first half of a previous paragraph, where the
topic was open primaries.

>>Sending volunteers to voter groups with known biases also destroys
>>ability  to see what party members desire.
>>

> You originally objected that a privately-held primary wouldn't work
> because a national party can't get all of its members to the convention.
> I pointed out that party activists could distribute ballots among involved
> party members.

I never said a privately held primary could not work.
      I said that a statewide convention of all members would be
impractical in a big state.
      I believe major parties do manage statewide private primaries in
some states.  Minor parties might manage to do this via mail ballots.
      If it is supposed to be a decision of the ENTIRE party, then ALL the
members need to be allowed to be in on the decision.

> The part about sending volunteers to core constituencies was more of a
> jibe at the parties than a serious suggestion.  The GOP complained in 2000
> because I, an independent at the time, had the audacity to support a
> conservative Republican veteran who opposed letting Bill Clinton rent out
> the Lincoln bedroom.  If they are concerned about being corrupted by any
> hint of outside thought then they can restrict the primaries to people
> with known biases so they never again face the awful prospect of different
> ideas.

I repeat what I said about all party members being in on a party decision.

--
  davek at clarityconnect.com    http://www.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek
   Dave Ketchum    108 Halstead Ave, Owego, NY  13827-1708    607-687-5026

----