[EM] Power of votes with approval

Elisabeth Varin/Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 5 20:40:58 PST 2003

Bart --,

I do not know why but I had previously some kind
of engineer reflex: I was normalizing the sum of
utilities to 1. Even worse, I was equally spreading
candidates like .4 , .3 , .2 and .1 . So your explanation ended up to
my previous strategy for approval.

I was doing that because of the differential analysis
I usually do about any decision. what is common to both
case does not matter. So, if two candidates were great,
but only differ on a very small issue, I would place the one I
prefer with a utility of 1 and the other with 0.
This works very well with two candidates.
Now suppose we add a third candidate, the most stupid
person I ever listened to. Now the fair utility of the two good guys
could be 100 and 97 compared to mister 3. But my normalization
step would produce value of .5 , .485 and .015.

I realize now that the normalization is OK,
it is the equal spreading which is not. And it has consequences
only for three or more candidates.
Thanks, what follows is exactly what I would do now...

----