[EM] Majority Choice Approval and Bucklin

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Wed Feb 19 22:34:19 PST 2003

Something I've been wondering about... has anyone suggested extending the
gradation in MCA beyond preferred, approved, and diapproved?  For example,
why not use MCA with a A,B,C,D,F ballot?  If no candidate has a majority of
A's, then check for a majority of A's and B's, then check for a majority of
A's, B's, and C's, and finally just elect the candidate with the most A's,
B's, C's, and D's.

It seems like an obvious point, but I haven't actually seen any messages
advocating it.  Call it "extended MCA" or "unconstrained Bucklin" or
"Approval Bucklin" or "Bucklin done right" or "bubble up approval" or whatever.

-Adam

----