[EM] How to vote in Approval

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 27 17:14:10 PST 2002

Alex,

Well said!

Joe Weinstein
Long beach CA USA

[Alex Small wrote:

"One nice thing about Approval is that a centrist who decided to take firm
stands on issues, but side with the Dems on some issues and the GOP on
others (e.g. fiscally conservative/socially liberal, or fiscally
liberal/socially conservative) would do quite well...  The reason I call
that a nice thing is NOT my own bias [but] the chance to (a) mix-and-match
issues, resulting in more freedom of choice, and (b) break away from the
left-right spectrum.

If most candidates conform to one of two molds, it's easy to get
polarization and acrimony... You get those cable news channels where they
bring in a liberal and conservative to shout at one another ... You get
lowest-common-denominator policy rather than best-of-both-worlds policy.

If I can predict most people's stance on a tax proposal based on what they
think of abortion, it signals that there's really very little discussion or
thought in America, because the lines have been drawn.

A system that helped candidates who mix-and-match issues from the two
traditional camps might bring in truly new and innovative ideas.  I truly
believe that America would be a better place if we could just break the
duopoly and bring in fresh new ideas, or at least innovative combinations of
old ideas."]