[EM] 'Rights' -side up

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 30 18:27:21 PDT 2002

On 28 July I noted that:

"James [Gilmour] worries about infringing on rights or anyhow desires of
some citizens not to be bothered with full participation in decision-making,
even for a few days every few years.  I don't want to get into arguments
over whether government has a 'right' to draft every citizen into a bare
minimum of equal-burden-sharing service."

In response, James wrote (29 July):

"Joe I think you are still looking at this world upside-down, which a little
surprising, given the view you are promoting.  The government has no rights.
  It has (should have ?) only the rights and powers that we, the people,
give it."

This response makes little literal sense: if the government truly has no
rights (speaking de facto, or possibly de jure, or both), then (de facto or
de jure or both) there’s no point trying to describe exactly what rights it
has or should have.   However - James please correct me! - likely what is
meant is that “the government” starts out in principle by having no rights,
but then gets - or ought to be allowed - “only the rights ... that we, the
people, give it.”

I have two responses to this.

(1) In terms of my specific proposals,  I'm looking at the world not 'upside
down' but rightside up, straight from where we are, and I stand simply by
what I said.  My proposals represent improvements no matter WHAT - if
anything at all - one takes to be the ‘rights’ and ‘powers’ of ‘the
government.’   Namely, in any event we would do better by having decisions,
on law and public policy, be made by ad-hoc citizen decision juries rather
than, as now, by an officer elite; and we would do better by having any
desired elections be at collegiate scale, or be replaced by jury
deliberations.

(2) Quite separately, we may anyway discuss just what are the 'rights' or
'powers' of the 'government'.  We could pose the question either concretely
or normatively.  Concretely: for a given existing or historical government,
such as the central government of the UK or of the USA, which specific
rights and powers does (or did) that government successfully claim and
maintain?  Normatively: in principle, what rights and powers are inherent in
a true ‘government’?

James’ response above seems to start to answer the normative question, and I
agree with his apparently intended answer, as far as it goes: ‘the
government’ should get ‘only the rights... that we, the people, give it’.
However, specifics here need clarification.  For instance, exactly what
counts as ‘the government’?  How may ‘the people’ ‘give’ rights to the
government; and how, if at all, may ‘the people’ later take these rights
away from the government?   Note too that the very concept implies that a
genuine 'government' be granted to have some special ‘rights’ or ‘powers’
that enable it to act.

James’ post makes some remarks on the concrete question, for current and
past UK and USA governments, and then returns to its 'main point', on the
normative question, as follows:

'I wasn't so much concerned with what "the government" has the right to
demand of us, but rather what we, as members of our communities, at all the
various levels of community, from street to nation, might reasonably be
allowed to demand of one another.  I may think it would be "better" if
everyone in the relevant community did indeed participate, and participate
very fully, but do I have the right to expect or demand that of the other
members of my community?  Do they have the right to opt out, with the
proviso that they accept the consequences?'

I like James’ rephrasing - away from intimidating terms such as
‘government’ and its ‘rights’ -  to friendlier lingo:  ‘what we ... might
reasonably be allowed to demand of one another’.

Here’s one thought about this issue.  In any ‘community’ whose members
generally desire the community’s sustainability, those members will attempt
to evolve stable, equitable and workable expectations of each other’s
behaviors.   In essence, traditional lingo uses  (community) ‘rights’ (or
member ‘responsibilities’) for these mutual expectations of behavior.

An ‘opt-out’ right clearly is not absolute or unlimited, so long as people
deem themselves to be living in a common and to-be-sustained community.   On
the other hand - as my 28 July post noted -  for any desired service, a
reasonable community is obliged to encourage and use citizens who volunteer,
before turning to others who are more reluctant to serve.

In the USA, ordinary people can readily 'opt out' without causing
obstructing public decisions, because there are far more than enough people
wishing to 'opt in' to the  decision-making elite.  However, like it or not,
the great majority of us are involuntary opt-outs, as we have no practical
chance to be either elected officers or high appointees.

[Aside:  What pop-journalism portrays as ordinary citizens’ individual
‘participation’ in politics - namely voting, rather than office-holding - is
in general meaningless in practical impact.  By ‘opting out’ I therefore
DON’T mean ‘not voting’.  But anyhow, our present system requires few if any
voters: all it needs is enough candidates to fill offices.]

Here and now in the USA, many of us ordinary involuntary opt-outs would be
happy to get a small piece of the real political action - direct
decision-making - as members of citizen decision juries.  For one thing, we
could finally and meaningfully apply all the theory and practice of civics
which we learn in the public schools and through experience in volunteer
organizations - and on trial juries!

Joe Weinstein
Long Beach CA USA