[EM] Dave Ketchum reply, part 1

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue Jul 2 17:43:41 PDT 2002

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

> Dave continued:
>
> - after you tell me I can select more than one, I have to decipher
> how many is a reasonable selection in each case.
>
> I reply:
>
> I remind you that you also have to do that now, with Plurality.
> With Approval, a good strategy is to vote for the candidate whom you'd
> vote for in Plurality, and also for everyone whom you like better.
> Voting in Approval is _not_ more complicated than voting in Plurality.
> Approval is an obvious undeniable improvement over Plurality. That
> can't be said for IRV.

As Craig Layton has affirmed more than once, the elections in Australia
that make use of ranked ballots have resulted in most voters either voting
above the line (for a party's preference order) or in voters following
candidate voting cards rather than figuring out a preference order for
themselves.

Following party or candidate recommendations would be even easier with
Approval.

And if you disagree with the party or candidate recommendations, then you
could easily modify your own ballot accordingly.

Forest

----