[EM] Electoral College and Minority Vetoes

Anthony Simmons asimmons at krl.org
Thu Jan 31 20:49:34 PST 2002

>> From: Alexander Small <asmall at physics.ucsb.edu>
>> Subject: [EM] Electoral College and Minority Vetoes

>> >I can't see that there's much difference between allowing a
>> >minority to exercise power against the popular will on the
>> >one hand, and giving them the veto on the other.

>> I'm taking a lemon and trying to make lemonade.  The rule
>> of equal representation in the Senate for every state is
>> fixed.  The Constitution says that it can only be changed
>> with the unanimous consent of the states (it's the only
>> type of amendment that requires more than 3/4 of the
>> states).  Conversely, the EC can be eliminated if 3/4 of
>> the states agree.

I'm sorry, I can't see the connection.  I really can't see
how prevailing in saying "no" is all that different from
preventing others from saying "yes".

For example, we are stopped from eliminating the EC because
of veto.  How is that different from saying that the minority
is forcing us to use it, except by reference to what is
already in place?

Just a small observation.  It may just be a matter of looking
at things from a slightly different angle, not an actual
difference at all.