[EM] Electoral College-Pragmatic approach

Richard Moore rmoore4 at cox.net
Wed Jan 30 18:37:39 PST 2002

I think the EC is actually an obstacle to election method reform.
The EC can take an FBC-compliant method and make it non-compliant,
for instance. Suppose one large state selects a Green slate of
electors by Approval, and this causes the Republican candidate
to win because that state, that usually selects a Democratic slate
of electors, went Green. If some of the voters in the Greens >
Democrats > Republicans camp had not voted Green then they would
have improved their outcome.

It would be harder to make people see the advantages of a new
method if adopting that method fails to bring those promised
advantages. So abolishing the EC is either a prerequisite or a
corequisite to getting a better method in place.

  -- Richard