[EM] Interesting use of Borda count

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Jan 23 09:53:58 PST 2002

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Bart Ingles wrote:

> Of course.  Isn't it ironic that most multi-seat local elections, at
> least in California, use something similar to approval voting, while the
> single-vote plurality used in single seat elections is logically
> equivalent to cumulative voting.
>
> Bart

Yes, very ironic.  Similar to the irony of the smaller states believing
that our Electoral College method of presidential elections gives the
small state voters more voting power than the voters in the large states.

The original justification of publically supported schools was that a
democracy requires citizens to be educated in civic and political matters.
But how many public schools teach the basic math of voting power,
proportional representation, etc.?

Forest