When will Approval Voting defeat a majority candidate

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Thu Jan 17 11:46:44 PST 2002

Alexander Small wrote:

> The fact that Approval Voting can fail to elect somebody who is the first
> choice of a majority is often cited as a defect.  The circumstances under
> which this can happen, however, are rare and worth examining, at least in
> a race with 3 candidates:  [...]
---
D-

48 A
 3  AC
48 BC
 1 C

100

51 A (real/sincere first choice votes)
48 B
52 C  wins with simple Approval

Moral- with simple Approval if a choice is at or near a majority, then it may
not be wise to make additional choices.

Thus my earlier comments about contingent YES votes  --- a YES vote for a
later choice is contingent upon such vote not hurting an earlier choice
(which of course requires ranked votes) (which of course brings up head to
head Condorcet math which of course brings up circular ties which of course
brings up which tiebreaker to use) --- very circular overall.