[EM] questions about IIAC & ICC

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Tue Jan 15 15:08:19 PST 2002

Dear Steve,

you wrote (15 Jan 2002):
> Oh, and by the "Random Candidate" and "Random Dictatorship,"
> I guess you are referring to something like Florida's voting
> procedure. I that about it?

"Random Dictatorship" says that a voter is chosen randomly
and this voter's favorite candidate is the winner. (If
this randomly chosen voter doesn't have a unique favorite
candidate, then "Random Dictatorship" only says that the
winner must be one of his favorite candidates.)

Let's say that there are N candidates. Then "Random Candidate"
simply says that --independently on how the voters vote--
each candidate is elected with the same probability of 1/N.

Mike wrote (15 Jan 2002):
> I'm not agreeing yet that RC passes IIAC, because I haven't
> rechecked and printed-out the definition yet, but maybe it
> does.

When Mike cannot see that under "Random Candidate" the
probability that a given candidate X is elected can only
decrease when additional candidates are nominated, then
I cannot help him.

Markus Schulze