[EM] Rank methods, participation, consistency

Richard Moore rmoore4 at home.com
Sat Jan 12 17:10:56 PST 2002

MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

> Most rank methods, even if monotonic, fail Participation & Consistency.

Can you name a specific ranked method that's monotonic, that fails the
other two? I've heard claims that Condorcet is monotonic, but I wonder if
it's true. If so, *which* Condorcet completion methods are monotonic? Are
there proofs for these methods being monotonic?

Such methods would be good candidates for testing a generalized definition
of Monotonicity, to make sure it agrees with the ranked-ballot definition.

  -- Richard