[EM] math 103 website - Arrow & Saari

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Tue Jan 8 23:47:25 PST 2002

My impression was that he was talking about a given set of preference
orders always mapping to the same winner.  Saari seemed to find it
objectionable that individuals preferring A to B to C might not all vote
the same way -- i.e. that some would vote for A alone, while others
would vote for both A and B -- and that the outcome depends on such
factors as strategy and intensity.

As though it doesn't anyway, regardless of what system you use.

I don't know who would consider it important to find out preference
orders given the actual ballots, but to a certain extent this is
possible with approval voting.  For example, if an individual votes for
a frontrunner as well as a minor candidate, he probably preferred the
minor candidate first, and included the frontrunner as a backup choice.
If he had preferred the frontrunner, there would have been no incentive
to vote for a second candidate.

Bart