[EM] The Electoral College

Anthony Simmons asimmons at krl.org
Sun Jan 27 20:38:47 PST 2002

>> From: Forest Simmons <fsimmons at pcc.edu>
>> Subject: [EM] The Electoral College (was Interesting use of Borda count)

Interesting discussion of power index, but kind of misses
what I was talking about, which is that when people talk
about the power of the states within the EC, they tend to
equate power of the state with power of the individual voters
within the state, and yet it seems possible for the power of
a state within the Electoral College to be unrelated in any
precise way to the power of the individual voters within the
state, run-on sentence or no.

For example, suppose that Florida has twenty electors (I
don't know the actual number; I'm winging it), and is solidly
committed to, say, Buchanan.  Then no individual voter has
much chance at all of being a crucial vote, so voters in
Florida have little or no power; a voter in Florida can
choose to stay home on election day, knowing it will have no
effect on the outcome.  On the other hand, if voters in
another state, which also has twenty electoral votes, are
evenly divided between Buchanan and Nader, with a small
handful choosing Bush or Gore, then any vote in that state
could be pivotal, so voters in that state have more power
than they do in Florida.  Nevertheless, the states
themselves, as voters within the EC, have equal power.