[EM] Approval, FBC, voter influence

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 3 00:03:16 PST 2002

That never occurred to me about Approval & FBC. The A, B, & C factions in
your
example could be in different time-zones, and it could happen as you
describe.

Then the matter of whether voting is simultaneous & the matter of whether
voting
is secret must be included in the definition of a voting system. Approval
fails
FBC, then, if its voting is neither simultaneous or secret.

We can't make it simultaneous in a country that spans 4 timezones, but we
should
make it secret. Not only can that FBC violation happen when voting isn't
secret, but
additionally it could be said that the Western voters have an information
advantage over
the Eastern voters, and that should be considered unacceptable.

That information advantage, by itself, is enough reason to not publish
election results
till everyone has voted. So the kind of Approval that violates FBC is a kind
that shouldn't
be used, for other reasons too.

Mike Ossipoff