[EM] 12/23/02 - Show Us The Ballots Mikeo!!

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Mon Dec 23 09:52:40 PST 2002

Mike wrote and Donald responded:

>Mikeo: "One advantage that Runoff has over IRV is that, with Runoff, at
>least a CW can't lose if s/he comes in 1st or 2nd in the 1st balloting,
>whereas in IRV a CW can lose even if s/he's the favorite of by far the most
>people. The scenario in which that happens isn't at all implausible. It
>requires only that candidates' favoriteness support taper gradually for
>candidates  farther away from that Plurality winner CW. Then, the
>eliminations at the extremes, and the centerward transfers, will reach
>candidates adjacent to that CW before they reach the CW, and the CW will
>likely be eliminated.
>    IRV's poor social utility scores in simulations resulted from the
>frequent elimination of median candidates, probably happening largely as
>described above."
>
>Donald:  You should be ashamed of yourself.  This is merely more of the
>same gobbledegook that you have been handing out for the last five years.
>It is clear you haven't learned much in five years.  People are not going
>to think you are super smart just because they don't understand what the
>hell it is you are talking about.

Donald, what Mike is describing is exactly what I described in a message to
you just a few days ago, when I provided a specific example and asked you
to explain why you thought IRV was electing the right candidate.  Just go
to my previous message of 12/20 and respond.  Here's a link if you've
deleted it: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/election-methods-list/message/10514

>No good to just say you are sorry, you need to redeem yourself by getting
>off your fat ass and getting some ballots from a real Approval Voting
>election - Show Us The Ballots Mikeo!!

Although I agree with others that your tendency to descend into personal
insults is pretty objectionable, I am more frustrated by your total
unwillingness to enter into an actual debate on this list.  Your posting
style is just one pronouncement after another, with no effort to address
the responses that are aimed at you.  Your admonition of Mike here is
pretty ironic when viewed in this light.

-Adam

----