[EM] 12/13/02 - Giving `crutches to weak candidates':

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Fri Dec 20 11:25:00 PST 2002

I must admit I'm not the least bit surprised that Donald Davison has not
responded to my message from 12/18.  This is standard debating style for
Donald -- post an inflammatory criticism of Condorcet or Approval, ignore
the reasoned responses, rinse, repeat.  Would it be too much to ask him to
defend IRV from criticism, this time?

So go ahead Don, read below, or read the original, and respond.  Explain
why the centrist candidate below should lose (although he
shouldn't).  Explain why the example below is unrealistic (although it
isn't).  Explain why IRV's monotonicity violations are less of a concern
that Condorcet's cyclical ties (although they aren't).  Even better,
provide an example that is realistic in your estimation, where Condorcet
elects a bad candidate. (I bet you can't.)

Good Luck, Adam

----