[EM] Ballot Instructions

Buddha Buck bmbuck at 14850.com
Mon Feb 19 06:51:50 PST 2001

One thing I haven't seen here is any discussion of ballot
instructions.  I'm curious as to how people would recommend the ballot
instructions for the various election methods be written.

For some methods, I can see pretty clear ways to write the ballot
instructions; Plurality: Select the candidate you wish to be
elected.  IRV/Condorcet/other ranking methods: Order the candidates in your
order of preference.  Various rating methods: Rate each candidate on a
scale of ...

I can't see clear wording to use for approval.  Something like "Select all
the candidates that..." you approve of?  are acceptable? are
qualified?  All three of those choices could result in different votes from
me (a candidate may be acceptable, even if I wouldn't truely approve of
him, and a candidate may be qualified for a position, but who's positions
are antithetical to mine, etc).

Has much thought been given to ballot instructions?