Fwd: [EM] Catchy goes Taxi Driver (watch my slow descent into frustration and brutality, prompted by the madness of another!)

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 10 11:55:59 PDT 2000

>Mike ends his piece with a lovely bit criticising the agenda
>of "academics" (he doesn't have to go "all academics suck!" to prompt
>a response). I quoth-
>
> > But I don't say that Craig's above-quoted attitude is original with
> > him. Maybe Craig has just explained why the academics generally
> > don't seem interested in the standards that concern actual voters.
> >
> > But though I may not agree with the priorities or goals of most
> > academics, I wouldn't insult them by counting Craig among them.
> > I merely mean that he may have copied their style and jargon, and
> > verbalized their values more frankly than they usually do, in
> > the above quoted statement by Craig.

Catchy, you're too sensitive. All I said was that maybe Craig
has exaplained why academics generally aren't interested in the
standards that concern actual voters. That's a criticism of their
agenda?

I feel that sometimes people
>feel that in order to achieve theoretical greatness they have to go "out
>in the wilderness."

David, you tend toward dramatic ways of saying things. I'm
interested in dealing with certain concerns that are important to
lots of voters, and by which they seem dominated & cowed.
I'm sorry if it offends you when I say that the professors whom
you respect so much aren't interested in those concerns, for the
most part. I don't care what dogmas you subscribe to. But why
does it upset you if not everyone shares your loyalty to those
dogmas?

As for your reading list, I'd suggest Weber & Merrill as the
people to read, for Approval. Weber & Myerson have written
interesting articles on tests for comparing methods. UUCC is
a simplification based on Myerson's corruption test.

Mike Ossipoff