[EM] Axioms P3, P2, Truncation Resistance, and 2 candidate solution

Craig Carey research at ijs.co.nz
Wed Feb 9 07:08:28 PST 2000

Contents:
   A derivation of the 2 candidate 1 winner method.
   P2 defined.
   P3 defined.
   Using truncation resistance and vote spreading to discard 54 papers
      in the 4 candidate problem.
   A comment on the A1 meta-axiom of a preferential voting theory

At 18:17 09.02.00 , Rob Lanphier wrote:
>The truncation resistance criterion has come up a number of times on this
>list as a justification for/against some methods.  Has there been any
>attempt to create a compelling mathematical formula for this, where
>someone can objectively apply the formula to a given method to determine
>if a voting method is "truncation resistant"?

Truncation resistance is rather easily defined. Let trunc(V,c) be a
 function that truncates all preference lists on papers immediately
 after the preference for candidate c. Here's a definition of
 Truncation Resistance:

   (All c)(All U,V)[(U = trunc(V,c)) => ((c in W(U)) = (c in W(V)))]

It can be converted in a REDLOG form and evaluated on a computer
 (perhaps too slowly to be practical, though):
U =
 uaa A      ua=uaa+uab+uac
 uab AB
 uac AC
 ub  B
 uc  C

V =
 vaa A      va=vaa+vab+vac
 vab AB
 vac AC
 vb  B
 vc  C

ta = (U = trunc(V,A)) = (uaa=vaa+vab+vac)(uab=0)(uac=0)(ub=vb)(uc=vc)
tb = (U = trunc(V,B)) = (uaa=vaa)(uab=vab)(uac=vac)(ub=vb)(uc=vc)
   = (U = trunc(V,C))
simpu = (0<=uaa)(0<=uab)(0<=uac)(0<=ub)(0<=uc)(uaa+uab+uac+ub+uc<=1)
simpv = (0<=vaa)(0<=vab)(0<=vac)(0<=vb)(0<=vc)(vaa+vab+vac+vb+vc<=1)

Let wvj = (j in W(V)) = (j is a winner of V)
TR := rlqe rlall ((simpu.simpv) => (ta => (wua = wva)))

TR is true iff truncation resistance is held.
The operator "rlqe rlall" is 2 REDLOG operators that return the Boolean
 value true if and only if the RHS term is true for all values of the
 10 free variables. I.e. it is a  "(For All)" operator (existential
 logic), that is true iff the polytope is not empty.

This STV-style "truncation resistance" can break problems into smaller
 problems. Some examples ("#S" is the number of elements in set S):

Case (1 = #W)&(3 = #Candidates) :
(a in W(V)) = (not b in W(V))(not c in W(V))
            = (not b in W(trunc(V,{A,B})))(not c in W(trunc(V,{A,C})))
If V was fully general with 15 papers A,AB,ABC,AC,ACB,B,BA,BAC,BC,BCA,
 C,CA,CAB,CB,CBA, then trunc(V,{A,B}) has the 5 papers A,B,C,CA,CB.
So assuming truncation resistance reduces the problem to a subproblem
 of solving an election with 5 papers.

Case (2 = #W)&(3 = #Candidates) :
(a in W(V)) = (not b in W(V)) or (not c in W(V))
            = (not b in W(trunc(V,{A,B}))) or (not c in W(trunc(V,{A,C})))
Again there is a reduction to 5 papers.

Case (1 = #W)&(4 = #Candidates) :    "One winner four candidates"
There 64 papers (or 40 if the last preference is ignored):
 A,AB,ABC,ABCD,ABD,ABDC,AC,ACB,ACBD,ACD,ACDB,AD,ADB,ADBC,ADC,ADCB;...

Write W=W(V), kWj=(k in W(trunc(V,{j})).
aW = -bW.-cW.-dW = -bWab.-cWac.-dWad
bWab = -aWab.-cWab.-dWab = -aWab.-cWabc.-dWabd
-aWab = (bWab or cWabc or dWabd). ......
It seems to be not possible to remove terms having truncation done
 wrt. only 2 variables.

The term bWab is a Boolean function depending on counts for these
 papers:
       A, B, C, CA, CB, CD, CDA, CDB, D, DA, DB, DC, DCA, DCB

The papers C, CD, D, DC can be eliminated by making the winner set
 invariant to adding papers:
(1)** (+3x:C,  -x:CA, -x:CB, -x:CD)
(2)   (+3x:D,  -x:DA, -x:DB, -x:DC)

(3)** (+2x:CD, -x:CDA, -x:CDB)
(4)   (+2x:CD, -x:DCA, -x:DCB)

Those are P2(1) and P2(2) rules.

In eqn (1), a Condorcet style pairwise comparison between candidates x
 and y can be done by first truncating after preferences for x and y.
The changes in votes are:
  C:any  = 0:0