[EM] Majority winner set

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 4 18:43:02 PST 2000

>>I think the general consensus, even among those on this list who don't
>agree on much else, is that the root of most of IRV's problems is the
>fact that it uses transfers at all.

The transfering is detrimental, but, if we were to divide IRV's
rule up and evaluate them separately, the eliminations are worse than
the transfers.

For example, Don Davison, before he let himself be co-opted by
the IRV promoters, proposed a genuine improvement on IRV. It was
IRV minus the eliminations. It kept the transfsers, but not the
eliminations. He called it Runoffs Without Eliminations (RWE).

RWE was one of the IRV mitigations that I proposed to the IRV promoters.
Of course they didn't accept it, because they seem determined to
impose all of IRV's worst problems on the public.

So I've reached the conclusion that trying
to reach a compromise with IRVies is a waste of time & effort.
Instead of mitigating IRV, it's more worthwhile to dump it and
propose something completely different and better.

Mike Ossipoff