D'Hondt Formulas

New Democracy donald at mich.com
Mon Aug 24 11:48:54 PDT 1998

Dear Mardi Seng,

     May I suggest that you do not use any formula like the d'Hondt
formula. They are a door to corruption - as you already know.

     Let me guess how this happened: The election committee lowers the
quota via the formula and then computed FIRST the seats of the largest
faction and worked down towards the lowest faction, stopping when all seats
were filled.

     Do not use a formuls - insist on using Hare Quota, which is total
votes divided by the total number of members. Assign seats to each party
according to the number of whole quotas each party has gained in the
election.

     Each party will have a remainder. The sum of all remainders should
equal the number of seats not yet filled. Assign these seats to the parties
with the highest remainders.

Regards,
Donald D

*****
>Please Help.  I am trying to locate all "Highest Average" proportional
>representation formulas for allocating parliamentary seats.
>
>Cambodian elections took place on July 26, 1998.  The opposition parties
>have rejected the results due to intimidation, frauds, killings,
>counting irregularities, etc.. by the ruling party.  Although the ruling
>party has won only 41% of the votes but they managed to obtain 51% of
>the seat by using the d'Hondt formula for seat allocation.  The National
>Election Committee (ruling party-friendly) changed the formula without
>informing the participating parties nor the change in formula was
>properly approved.
>
>We are trying to locate all "highest average" formulas for proportional
>representation. If you can help, please email the formulas to Mardi Seng
>at  phic at erols.com.  Please also include the sources of the formulas.
>
>Thank you very much.  Mardi Seng.

     ///                 N E W    D E M O C R A C Y                ///
     \\\ Home of Citizen's Democracy   http://www.mich.com/~donald \\\