Tiebreakers, Subcycle Rules

Norman Petry npetry at sk.sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 10 10:13:00 PDT 1998

Dear Markus,

Thank-you for your reply.

The reason (in particular) that I am interested in your tiebreaker solution
is that the complexity of Schwartz set computation would make it desirable
to use a simpler tiebreaker, if possible (such as Condorcet(EM)) with the
beat-path method.  The main (beat-path) portion of your method seems very
decisive in examples we've tried, so using a simpler tiebreaker for rare
cases would seem to be ok.  Your example demonstrates at least a couple of
interesting things in this regard:

1) Your Schwartz set tiebreaker is more decisive than the tiebreaker I had
thought might be a reasonable substitute.  If Condorcet(EM) (fewest
votes-against in largest defeat) is used to pick between B & D, the result
is _still_ indecisive (both have 5 votes against in their worst defeat).  If
the example you provide is typical of the situations in which the beat-path
computation produces ties, Condorcet(EM) would be a poor substitute for
Schwartz.

2) The other good method we've been looking at (Pairwise Dropping) is
equally indecisive in this example.  Elimination of all the beat-paths of
strength 5 leaves a tie between D>A and B>C.  This confirms my suspicion
that beat-path calculation is always _at least_ as decisive as Pairwise
Dropping.  I think that Pairwise Dropping will only be indecisive in cases
like this, where dropping multiple defeats of equal strength reveals two or
more winners simultaneously.  Therefore, Pairwise Dropping has the same need
for a good tiebreaker as Schulze's method.

3) Your recent re-wording of your method in terms of repeated application of
the Schwartz set followed by successive elimination of weak defeats, makes
it clear that Schwartz can be seen as an integral part of the method, rather
than just an "add-on" to eliminate ties.  Therefore, the desirable
properties (i.e.: criteria compliance) that the method provides might only
be guaranteed in the case of ties if the same logic is extended to apply to
all cases, and not just those where there's a clear Schulze winner.

In conclusion: the use of the Schwartz set tiebreaker seems well justified,
despite the added complexity.  Unless a simpler tiebreaker could be devised
that would always pick the same winners, Schwartz appears to be the best
choice.

***

A final thought:

It seems to me that the goal with the Schulze method is (or should be) to
produce the most perfect outcomes possible, despite complexity.  Using a
complex tiebreaker with a (relatively) complex method is therefore less of a
problem than it would be to use such a tiebreaker with a method who's
advantage is simplicity (Sequential Dropping).  Therefore, although Schwartz
seems to be a good tiebreaker for Schulze's method, Sequential Dropping will
need something easier to define (and Condorcet(EM) probably won't do, for
reasons given above).

Norm Petry