Comparison of latest Condorcet Variants

Norman Petry npetry at sk.sympatico.ca
Sun Aug 9 12:30:20 PDT 1998

Mike,

You wrote, in regard to indecisiveness in Schulze:

>To check Schulze for decisiveness, take my mistaken
>indecisiveness example, the one that we've been referring to,
>and multiply all of the defeats in the subcycle by 10.
>
>Now, the subcycle members' defeats of each other  within the
>subcycle are stronger than any other defeats. So now A has
>a Schulze win against B & C. And D & E both have Schulze wins
>against A. So there's no Schulze winner.

Doing as you suggest, the problem becomes:

A>B 20
B>C 30
C>A 10
{A,B,C}>D 7
E>A 8
E>B 5
E>C 4

Analysis:

A>>B 20:10 (A>B vs. B>C>A)
A>>C 20:10 (A>B>C vs. C>A)
A>>D 7:6 (A>D vs. D>E>A)
B>>C 30:10 (B>C vs. C>A>B)
B>>D 7:6 (B>D vs. D>E>A>B)
C>>D 7:6 (C>D vs. D>E>A>B>C)
E>>A 8:6 (E>A vs. A>D>E)
E>>B 8:6 (E>A>B vs. B>D>E)
E>>C 8:6 (E>A>B>C vs. C>D>E)
E>>D 7:6 (E>A>D vs. D>E)

So once again Schulze is decisive, choosing E.

(Pairwise Dropping also picks E).

I suspect that the Schulze method will only be indecisive in cases where
there are large numbers of ties in the beat-paths, which is probably the
basis for his suggested tiebreaker.

Perhaps Markus could devise an example of where his method is indecisive?
I'm interested in seeing how and/or why the tiebreaker he suggested for his
method would work, but that's difficult when we can't find a single example
of when it would be necessary!

Norm Petry