Tiebreakers, Subcycle Rules

Mike Ositoff ntk at netcom.com
Fri Aug 7 15:25:12 PDT 1998

My apologies, especially to Markus: I forgot to consider the
longer beatpaths between A, B, & C. I only noticed the
subcycle beatpaths.

So what I said about Schulze's method being indecisive might
not be true at all--but you already knew that, before I did.

I don't have an example where it's indecisive, and I don't
know if it has that problem at all, or more than the other
versions, like Sequential Dropping (I wouldn't object to a
better name for Sequential Dropping).

In a situation with the defeats configured like that example,
if A loses with respect to D & E, and if C wins weth repect
to them, then  I realize now that, by beatpaths outside
the subcycle, C inevitably beats A, and the winner with
respect to the non-subcycle alternatives is the winner
against the subcycle alternatives.

But what if A, B, & C have different defeat magnitudes against
D? Could a person devise an example, then, where the
method is indecisive? But then I don't know how the other
versions would do in such an example either, so maybe
Schulze & Sequential Dropping have the same status
in that regard.

Mike