Tideman vs. Schulze

David Marsay djmarsay at dera.gov.uk
Wed Aug 5 05:14:11 PDT 1998

Sorry for a tardy response to:

> From:          "Norman Petry" <npetry at sk.sympatico.ca>
> Subject:       Tideman vs. Schulze

I believe that 'Schulze's method' is a reasonable interpretation of
what Condorcet wrote. The key to Condorcet's argument is that if the
propositions 'X > Y' and 'Y > Z' have strong majority support then so
does the 'result' 'X > Z'.

Condorcet notes "[This procedure] will give a decision that avoids
the least propositions and involves a lesser injustice between the
candidates, taken two by two." [Norman gives the source] Dodgson's
formulation is to minimize the number of propositions that are
contradicted. This gives the same result as Shulze. I would have
thought it would be appealing: the result is maximally consistent
with the ballots.

Relevant quotes are: