YES matrix

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Thu Aug 13 14:01:04 PDT 1998

I have suggested many times that a YES/NO vote be done in all elections along
with number votes (1, 2,  etc.).

If there was a circular tie in executive, judicial and issue elections AFTER
doing the head to head math there would be a YES matrix for the tied choices
(each having majority support). Example- 5 tied choices

                    Number Place
         1       2       3       4       5         Totals
A      N1     N2     N3     N4      N5       TA
B      N6     N7     N8     N9      N10      TB
C      N11   N12   N13   N14    N15      TC
D      N16   N17   N18   N19    N20      TD
E      N21  N22   N23    N24    N25      TE

It should be noted that a numbered place YES matrix is an expanded version of
the simple Approval matrix (which treats all votes as if there are in first
place- i.e. looks at the Totals column only).

Each N or T number is a number of votes.   Note- the place votes of choices
that do not have YES majorities are dropped from each ballot.  The tied
choices have moved up on each ballot.  Thus, the early place votes would be
the first choices or compromise choices of many voters.

The question is whether to drop the lowest YES total (horizontal) or the votes
in last place (vertical) and then rechecking the head to head math.

Dropping the last place votes might keep all of the tied choices alive (with
reduced majorities) so it might be used.

Since the above is a very simple tiebreaker, I would suggest that it would be
understandable by most voters (and even politicians !!!!) (unlike many of the
supercomplicated tiebreakers suggested in recent postings which in my humble
opinion have as much chance for public enactment as having a solid lead sphere
fly around the world on its own power).

The above might be called Approval-Condorcet-Approval (ACA).