[EM] "Spokane" method

Rob Lanphier robla at eskimo.com
Fri Mar 29 12:57:23 PST 1996

On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, Bruce Anderson wrote:
> This "Spokane" method sure sounds like the Coombs voting method to me.  The
> Coombs method was proposed by Clyde Coombs, and it is "well-known" by that name
> in the voting theory literature.

Thanks.  Scanning the literature becomes much easier with a name to look
for.

> The Coombs method satisfies the majority-winner, majority-loser, and
> Condorcet-loser criteria; but it fails the generalized-majority,
> Condorcet-winner, generalized-Condorcet, and monotonicity criteria.
>
> I'll conditionally offer to provide precise definitions of these criteria, and
> to tabulate which of 29 different voting methods can be proven to pass or to
> fail each of these criteria (and which, to the best of my knowledge, remain open
> questions), to this list after (if?) I receive Rob's permission to post such a
> conditional offer on this list.  The conditions concern formatting issues only.

i just want to fill folks in here.  Bruce has a lot of MSWord docs that
he has already written that he would like to post to the list.  I'm
worried about allowing that because it makes it difficult for me to
archive, and difficult for readers on the list to read.  Since he is doing
formulas and complex tables, it is difficult to express the same thoughts
in plain text, and Bruce has no desire to convert to text.

A possible compromise would be if someone has some extra space on a web
server that Bruce could post his Word docs to, and then could post a URL
to the list.  I'm running up to my limit on my server, but if someone else
has that ability, that would be wonderful.

Rob Lanphier
robla at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~robla