Specific Failing of Copeland/Regular Champion

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Jul 9 12:05:55 PDT 1996

Rob L asked:
>Could someone on this list point me to a specific failing of
>Copeland or Regular Champion and provide a specific scenario
>(preferably a sample set of ballots)?  Given what Mike has said so
>far, I'm assuming it would involve voters expressing insincere
>ballots on a small scale and having a large effect on the election,
>but I haven't worked it out.

It doesn't require insincere voting to demonstrate there's a fallacy
in the notion of counting the number of each candidate's pairwins and
pairlosses.

See the 6-11-96 message "The rich party problem" for an example.
And if your email manager can search for messages, search for the
criteria "Independence from Twins" and "Independence from Co-partisan
Alternatives", which state the rich party problem in a rigorous way.